Power plant's coal conveyor catches fire

Consumers Energy personnel and firefighters extinguished a fire in a conveyor system at the utility's Campbell Complex, 16900 Croswell St., on Sunday afternoon.
Becky Vargo
Jul 23, 2013

 

“Some of the guys were coming off their lunch break and noticed the smoke in the conveyor,” Consumers Energy spokesman Roger Morgenstern said.

Port Sheldon Township firefighters were called in to assist at about 12:30 p.m. Officials requested manpower from Grand Haven Township Fire/Rescue just before 2 p.m.

Morgenstern said the fire was contained to the conveyor system and dust collectors.

“There was relatively minimal damage to the system and there were no injuries,” he said. “Operations were not affected.”

Firefighters were on the scene until about 5:30 p.m.

Morgenstern said the conveyors carry coal from the coal pile into the plant. The conveyors have a fire suppression system, which had already activated by the time firefighters arrived.
 

 

Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.