Firefighters responded to the possible structure fire call at 11:56 a.m. Wednesday.
Upon their arrival to the 17417 West Spring Lake Road home, firefighters found no flames, but some smoke from the dryer. They continued to investigate as of 12:15 p.m.
By 12:30 p.m., a fire official said it appeared to be a flash fire of lint behind the first-floor dryer. It was a very small fire that extinguished itself.
He suggested that all area residents clean out their exhaust duct because they do fill up with lint particles, which become a fire hazard.
Dee Tibbetts said the smoke alarms went off and she could immediately smell smoke. She told her daughter, Hannah, to call 911, and they evacuated the home with their dog, Chloe.
Tibbetts said they would be replacing the dryer.
Stay tuned to www.grandhaventribune.com for 24/7 news updates.