Gas leak forces Pizza Hut evacuation

Employees and customers evacuated the local Pizza Hut after a chunk of ice fell off the roof and damaged the gas meter.
Becky Vargo
Feb 19, 2014

Firefighters responded to the Pine Street restaurant on a possible gas leak at 7:36 p.m. Tuesday.

“They smelled gas, looked around, found the problem and evacuated,” said Ferrysburg assistant fire chief Tuc Bosch.

Michigan Gas workers determined a pipe had been knocked off the large meter and shut off the gas, Bosch said.

Meters were used to check the level of gas in the restaurant.

Firefighters ventilated the restaurant and determined it safe to re-enter.

Bosch said it was unknown whether or not the gas was turned back on and the business re-opened.

The manager at the Pizza Hut referred all questions to a regional manager.

The regional manager had not returned a call as of the time this story was posted.
 

Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.