Grand Haven firefighters were called to the building at about 4:15 p.m. and blocked off the streets around the building.
Jodi Nass, owner of the Hairhive hair salon inside the Armory at Second Street and Franklin Avenue, said the smoke appeared to be coming from an unoccupied space in the center of the building.
Alarms pierced the air as firefighters checked the entire building with thermal imaging cameras and didn’t find anything, said Grand Haven Public Safety Director Jeff Hawke.
The cause of the smoke was determined to be a mechanical issue with one of the several furnaces in the 109-year-old building.
“The building was turned over to the owner's maintenance representative, who will contact an HVAC contractor to remedy the problem,” Hawke said.
Hawke said they called in assistance from the Grand Haven Township Fire-Rescue Department.
“When you have visible smoke and the smell of smoke in a building like this, you take precautionary measures,” he said.
Firefighters had responded to the building at 17 S. Second St. on Oct. 4, 2013. Although the Tribune reported officials didn’t find anything at that time, Nass said it turned out to be exhaust from someone running a vehicle in the garage.