Family credits puppy for noticing stove left on

An owner of a newly adopted puppy credits the dog with alerting his family to an unlit stove burner that was sending natural gas into their suburban Detroit home.
AP Wire
Mar 16, 2014

Tim McLarty said the burner was inadvertently left on low after the family cooked dinner around 6 p.m. March 5. McLarty said Hunter, a 3-month-old Husky mix, woke McLarty's wife, Jill, around midnight by whining constantly.

"Somehow the flame went out, but no one noticed the knob was still turned on," he said.

McLarty said his wife let Hunter outside, but he continued to whine when he re-entered the house.

"He was in the hallway almost doing circles and then he sat next to the stove and started crying," McLarty said. "My wife turned on the light and she saw not only was the stove turned on, but at that instant she smelled gas. We were in shock that it had been running for hours."

The family of five adopted Hunter about two weeks before the leak from the Michigan Humane Society at a Petco store in Sterling Heights. McLarty said the family nearly adopted Hunter's sibling, but the puppy won them over.

He said that may have been a life-saving decision.

"We were ... grateful more than you can imagine," he said.

Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.