Couple sued in fire caused by squirrel dinner prep

Two lawsuits are pending in the case of a Holland-area apartment complex fire sparked by a tenant who tried to cook a squirrel with a propane torch.
AP Wire
Apr 5, 2014

 

While on the balcony of his unit at Clearview Apartments in Holland Township, Khek Chanthalavong used the torch to burn off the squirrel's fur as he prepared to cook the rodent. Chanthalavong shared the apartment with Barbara Pellow.

The suits were filed in Ottawa County Circuit Court by insurance companies that covered damages after the October 2012 fire.

Travelers Indemnity Co. is suing Pellow for $2 million, and Auto Owners Insurance Company is seeking the $56,000 it paid to three renters.

The Holland Sentinel reported that Chanthalavong's attorney had no comment.

Comments

Vladtheimp

The Lakeshore Dining Divas reported they loved the view from the balcony but their écureuil was slightly overcooked with a disturbing hint of propane.

dhbreezy1234

Hey Vlad, check the comments from yesterday. Very well thought out opinions. Funny too!

dyankee

"Chanthalavong's attorney had no comment" other than he thinks his client is a nut. Clearly, due to reports stating chokfulanuts was balancing on the edge of his balcony at the time of grilling incident. Concerns with him becoming a little squirrelly facing said charges was presented to Judge Chip Monk with request to remove bail due to risk of the accused scurrying back to and over border fence to country of origin.

 

Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.