Apartment complex evacuated Saturday night

Residents of all the apartments in the High Point Apartment building evacuated for a possible residential fire late Saturday night.
Becky Vargo
Apr 20, 2014


Firefighters responding from the Grand Haven Department of Public Safety found light smoke in the building and smoke coming out the eaves when they arrived shortly before 11 p.m., said GHDPS Director Jeff Hawke.

Further investigation revealed that a bathroom fan in one of the apartments caught on fire, Hawke said.

“The resident of the apartment used a home fire extinguisher on the fire before evacuating the apartment,” he said.

Firefighters went into the attic and removed smoldering insulation and used the thermal imaging camera to check for possible fire extension.

Grand Haven Township Fire Rescue assisted at the scene.

Firefighters were at the scene for more than an hour.


Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.