logo
Leave Feedback


Holland Twp. fatal fire was accidental, police say

Tribune Staff • Jul 21, 2015 at 10:56 AM

The state fire marshal, along with Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department detectives and Holland Township firefighters, investigated the fire. They said Wednesday that the fire likely started in the home’s rear bedroom and was accidental. Smoking materials cannot be ruled out as the cause, but there is no indication that an electrical malfunction started the fire, said Lt. Lee Hoeksema of the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department.

Due to the extent of the damage, investigators haven’t yet determined if the home had a working smoke detector inside it.

The boy’s cause of death was determined to be smoke inhalation, Hoeksema said.

Trenton’s mother, 28-year-old Amanda Harlen; and sister, Jasmine Vander Hulst, 6, escaped the fire, but also suffered smoke inhalation. Both are currently in stable condition at Grand Rapids hospitals.

Recommended for You