logo
Leave Feedback


no avatar

Family of six safe after electrical short started bedroom fire

Jordan Travis • Jul 21, 2015 at 10:57 AM

“(The parents) found him in the living room, hiding under a blanket,” VanVelzen said.

Firefighters had the blaze knocked down roughly 10 minutes after arrival, VanVelzen said.

VanVelzen said the contents of the bedroom were destroyed when an electrical short in a box fan in one of the daughters’ bedrooms started some toys on fire. The fire then spread through the bedroom and was contained there — in part by the room’s drywall.

Damage to the house is estimated at $12,000, VanVelzen said, including damages from heavy smoke. The house is insured and should be repairable, he added.

Martin, Alison and the four children are staying with family nearby, VanVelzen said. They are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

The family’s dog was also unharmed.

“It could have been a lot worse than it was,” VanVelzen said.

Robinson Township firefighters were assisted by the Grand Haven Township Fire-Rescue Department, and an ambulance from North Ottawa Community Hospital was on the scene. Ottawa County Sheriff’s deputies directed traffic.

Recommended for You