Leave Feedback

Homeowner douses fire caused by lightning strike

Becky Vargo • Jul 21, 2015 at 10:59 AM

“There was a huge, big flash with it,” Mahmood said. “I switched off my cooker and started looking around.”

Mahmood said he could smell smoke, but couldn’t discover the source. He checked on his handicapped daughter, who was in her main floor bedroom, and saw that she was OK. Mahmood opened the door to the basement where he smelled stronger smoke. He walked downstairs and noticed flames in his furnace room.

Mahmood said he grabbed the kitchen wastebasket, dumped out the garbage and filled it three-quarters full with water. He dumped it on the fire, extinguishing the blaze.

 Read more of this story in today's print edition, or e-edition of the Grand Haven Tribune.

Recommended for You