Fire destroys Crockery Twp. home

Becky Vargo • Jul 21, 2015 at 11:05 AM

“It wouldn’t be surprising if it was lightning because we heard a lot of really loud ones (booms),” said neighbor Desiree Whipple.

Nobody was home at the time of the fire. Whipple said a passer-by, who noticed the fire, saved the family cat.

Homeowner Bob Kary said that was pretty amazing, because the cat normally hides in the basement when there was a storm.

Kary and his wife, Theresa, had gone to visit friends at a cottage on the Muskegon River and were not aware of the fire until they received cell phone calls. Their older son, Kyle, was gone to college; while their younger son, Tyler, was away at a camp.

Kary said the home had been built about 70 years ago by his father, John Kary, now 92, who lives next door. Bob and Theresa have lived there for the last 21 years.

Kary said the house is insured and he was glad that everybody was safe.

The value of the house and contents had not yet been determined by press time today.

Dreyer said he would be returning to the house today to dig around a little more to verify the cause. He expected to meet with insurance adjusters today as well.

Crockery Township firefighters worked on another house fire on Sunday morning, but this was a training session planned “well in advance,” Dreyer said. The house at the corner of 120th Avenue and Cypress Street was burned down to make way for M-231, he said.

To read more of this story, see today’s print or e-edition of the Grand Haven Tribune.

To see more photos from the scene of the fire, click here.

Recommended for You