Firefighters were on standby at Fruitport Fire Department when the chimney fire at 17237 Roosevelt Road was called in about 7 p.m., Olthof said.
Fruitport’s fire department was out on a pole barn fire at the time.
“A neighbor reported smoke alarms going off and saw smoke coming out of the window,” Olthof said. “He did not know if anyone was home, although there was a vehicle in the driveway.”
Firefighters had to break into the house to put out the fire which was contained to the fireplace and chimney, Olthof said. There was nobody in the house at the time.
“It appeared that the flu was closed or only partially open and that there was a blockage in the chimney,” Olthof said. “The smoke was backing up into the house.”
Olthof said damage was estimated at about $2,000, mostly from having to force entry into the home and having to remove the chimney cap.
Firefighters returned to standby in Fruitport and cleared the scene at about 8 p.m., Olthof said.
The department also responded to a medical during the night, then went on standby to Norton Shores Fire Department after 1:30 this morning when Norton Shores’ department responded to a fire in Muskegon.