Three buildings destroyed in New Year’s Eve fire in Port Sheldon Township

Becky Vargo • Jul 21, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Firefighters were called about 2:45 p.m. on a pole barn fire at the home of Jane Mellema and Ron Holmes, 9425 160th Ave. The address is west of U.S. 31 and just south of Fillmore Street.

Holmes said he returned home about an hour before he noticed the fire. He parked his 2004 Oldsmobile Silhouette minivan inside his pole barn, went inside the house and started watching television.

“I went upstairs to get a pop and saw the back door was open,” Holmes said. “I went to shut the door and saw the smoke. I said, ‘Holy cow, my garage is on fire.’ It was really cooking.”

The approximately 22-by-25-foot, two-story pole barn was on fire when the Port Sheldon Township Fire Department arrived on the scene, said Chief Gord VanderYacht.

The chief immediately called for assistance from Grand Haven and Olive townships’ fire departments.

VanderYacht said it was good to have the help because the fire was spreading so quick from building to building, and was spreading to the adjacent woods.

To read more of this story, see today’s print or e-edition of the Grand Haven Tribune.

Recommended for You