Mona Shores parapro faces criminal sex charge

Becky Vargo • Jul 21, 2015 at 11:19 AM

No further information was being released pending arraignment, scheduled for today, police said in a press release.

D’Oyly was the piano accompanist for the Mona Shores High School choir. The Fruitport man was also the staff organist for First Presbyterian Church in Grand Haven.

The Muskegon County Prosecuting Attorney’s office said D’Oyly had inappropriate contact with past and current students. A former Mona Shores High School student reported him to school administrators over the recent holiday break.

D’Oyly had worked for the Mona Shores school district for 22 years — first as a volunteer, and as a paid employee since 2000. He was suspended from that job while he was being investigated on allegations of “inappropriate conduct with students.”

D’Oyly was put on paid leave when the high school received a complaint of inappropriate behavior from the former student, Superintendent Dave Peden said.

“We got a call from a parent of a former student,” Peden said. “It was a large enough concern to warrant looking into it further.”

Once they found out that police had arrested D’Oyly, Peden said school officials “took swift and sure action, and removed him from our program.” D’Oyly was put on unpaid leave on Monday.

“We’re working to ensure that he does not return to the district,” Peden said this morning.

Peden said the school started its own investigation on Jan. 3, the day students returned from the holiday break.

“By about 3 p.m. that Tuesday, we found enough that we felt we couldn’t do that (investigation) on our own,” Peden said. “We contacted police.”

Norton Shores police executed a search warrant that day and confiscated D’Oyly’s computers, cell phone and iPad, Peden said.

On Jan. 6, a letter was sent home to parents advising them of the situation and why D’Oyly was not at school anymore. Counselors were also brought in to talk to the students, Peden said.

Another letter will be sent home to parents today, the superintendent said.

“It’s been a struggle for the (high school’s) choir department,” Peden added. “Anything the choir was involved with, he played a major role in — including the Singing Christmas Tree. He’s a tremendous musician.”

Peden said that D’Oyly was very popular with everyone; and would have been involved with the high school choir’s camp, where they kicked off production of the school’s upcoming spring musical.

The weekend camp went on as planned.

“The kids rallied around,” Peden said. “My understanding is those kids did a tremendous job.”

The superintendent said the school investigation has been concluded, but that is a personnel matter and no information is being released.

D’Oyly was also employed part-time as an organist at the First Presbyterian Church of Grand Haven. The church’s senior pastor, the Rev. Tom Cook, said D’Oyly has been an employee for six years, but he was asked to go on leave effective Tuesday morning, pending the resolution of the case.

Cook said the church board made the decision Monday night to place D’Oyly on leave. It will be up to the personnel committee of the church to determine if he will still be employed there, Cook said.

“His employment record here has been nothing but exemplary,” Cook said.

The pastor said he openly talked about the situation during Sunday church services.

“We’re praying for him, and for everyone involved in all of this,” Cook said.

Recommended for You