logo


no avatar

Woman, 64, dies after arriving at house fire

AP Wire • Jul 21, 2015 at 11:27 AM

The Cass County Sheriff’s Department said Arlene Kern’s 36-year-old son had started a fire in a wood burning stove on Monday and propane tank exploded at the home in Porter Township. Authorities said the man got out unharmed, but Kern died “from circumstances unrelated to the fire” after arriving with another person.

Sheriff’s Capt. Lyndon Parrish told the Kalamazoo Gazette that she collapsed and died, likely from a heart attack or other medical condition.

The explosion and fire were being investigated as a likely accident.

Recommended for You