no avatar

Boy, 6, dies after swallowing rock

Cheryl Welch • Jul 21, 2015 at 11:35 AM

The Norton Shores Police Department said a preliminary autopsy revealed that the boy ingested a small rock or stone, which became lodged in his larynx. He could not breathe, and although CPR was initiated immediately after his collapse, doctors pronounced the boy dead at a local hospital.

Emergency personnel responded to the call for help from Churchill Elementary School, 961 Porter Road, Norton Shores. The boy had been participating in school activities on the playground when he collapsed.

Foul play is not suspected, but police continue to investigate how or why Nikolas ingested the rock.

Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Anthony Nanna at 231-733-2691.

Community members have reached out in support of this family in their time of sorrow.

Many wrote on the funeral home’s website that they lit a candle in the memory of Nikolas.

Other comments wrote:

“My thoughts and many prayers are with your family at this very difficult time. May many loving memories comfort you of your precious Nikolas. I have so very much enjoyed meeting and visiting with your family at the ball games, as I watched my nephew Nick playing. I remember your little Nikolas always playing on the sidelines watching Lucas play, too. Keeping you close in caring prayers.”

“Words cannot express the sorrow for your loss. Your family is in my prayers and thoughts. My God be with you in this time and forever.”

If you knew Nikolas and would like to share with reporter Krystle Wagner your special memories of him, please e-mail kwagner@grandhaventribune.com. The Tribune is writing a memorial tribute story about who Nikolas was and what he meant to this community.

Recommended for You