Leave Feedback

Firefighters fight smoke at GHT restaurant

Alex Doty • Jul 21, 2015 at 11:59 AM

The Grand Haven Township Fire/Rescue and Grand Haven Department of Public Safety were called to the scene at 17250 Hayes shortly before 3 p.m. Friday on reports that the building had filled with black and white smoke.

Building occupants evacuated, and Grand Haven Township Fire Chief Tom Gerencer said that firefighters tracked down the source of the smoke. They determined that it was from a mechanical fault in a water-heating unit.

“The water heater malfunctioned, and everything was contained to the water heater,” Gerencer said.

He said there wasn’t any damage to the restaurant, and everything was contained to the water heater.

Firefighters cleared the scene at about 3:30 p.m.

Recommended for You