Leave Feedback

Lint buildup causes dryer fire

Becky Vargo • Jul 21, 2015 at 12:15 PM

Firefighters responded at about 1:20 a.m. to the duplex, said Fire Chief Mike Olthof.

The fire also melted some wires, but was out when firefighters arrived.

Olthoff said the exhaust vent was so packed with lint, that no more lint could get out of the dryer.

“I’ve never seen it packed like that before,” he said.

Residents smelled an electrical burning and called 911.

“They were lucky,” Olthof said. “The basement was pretty full and the potential was there for a fire if they kept running the machine.”

Olthof said it’s important to clean the lint out of the exhaust vent in the back of the dryer once in a while too.

Firefighters were on the scene about half an hour.

Recommended for You