logo
Leave Feedback


Microwave fire doused at River Haven

Becky Vargo • Jul 21, 2015 at 12:30 PM
bvargo@grandhaventribune.com 616-842-6400 ext. 231

The homeowner, who has been in the house less than a week, called for help at about 3 p.m. when he discovered the fire. He used a small dry chemical extinguisher to try to put out the fire before evacuating his home, said Lt. Matt Schweitzer of the Grand Haven Township Fire Department.

Firefighters had to remove the microwave to get to the fire in the ventilation ductwork and put it out with a small water extinguisher to minimize damage to the home, Schweitzer said.

The cause of the fire and a damage estimate was not available.

Firefighters were on the scene about an hour.

Recommended for You