What can I burn in GHT?

Mark Brooky • Jul 21, 2015 at 12:30 PM


Township officials say homeowners cannot burn leaves, junk or rubbish. All open burning — except for small, recreational fires no larger than 3 feet in diameter — require a permit from the township's Fire Department. Homeowners are limited to one burn permit per year and only for the disposing of trees, limbs and brush during designated burning periods (January, February, March and September).

Also keep in mind that smoke may not "create a nuisance" to your neighbors.

So, Bree, you may want to buy refuse bags and have your waste hauler take them, or take them to the township's yard waste collection site behind the Department of Public Works building at 13300 168th Ave. It's open for spring through May 6. But keep in mind they don't want you to dump wood, tree limbs or brush there.

Do you have a question for the Tribune? E-mail it to news@grandhaventribune.com, and type MAILBAG in the subject line. Or mail it the old-fashioned way to: Grand Haven Tribune, MAILBAG, 101 N. Third St., Grand Haven, MI 49417. We'll do our best to get you an answer! A new Mailbag appears on grandhaventribune.com at 5 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Recommended for You