logo
Leave Feedback


Fire extinguished at Robbins Road laundromat

Becky Vargo • Jul 21, 2015 at 12:40 PM
bvargo@grandhaventribune.com 616-842-6400 ext. 231

“This smells bad,” said Spring Lake resident Rosine Krug as she held a towel up to her nose. “And we have two other dryers full of clothes in there.”

Her husband, Richard, said he had just moved a load of clothing from the dryer, just above the one that caught on fire, because it wasn’t drying their clothes.

Rosine said a woman noticed smoke in the lower dryer. A man grabbed an extinguisher, opened the dryer door and put out the fire.

The Krugs said some of the clothes started on fire as police wheeled them in a cart out the door.

The Grand Haven Department of Public Safety responded at about 9:20 p.m. to the fire at the Coin Laundromat in the 900 block of Robbins Road.

Sgt. Mike Ercole said officers used a water can to extinguish the fire.

The blaze was contained to the dryer.

Ercole said this was the second dryer fire in the laundromat in a month. He said a bank of about four dryers would be put out of service until they could be inspected.

The cause of the fire was under investigation, he said.

Recommended for You