Leave Feedback

Ice fisherman suffers from possible CO poisoning

Becky Vargo • Jul 21, 2015 at 1:58 PM

The initial call was that he was suffering from Carbon Monoxide poisoning, said Lt. Matt Schweitzer of Grand Haven Township Fire/Rescue.

Grand Haven Township firefighters and Ottawa County Sheriff's deputies staged at the Millhouse Bayou access on Bignell Drive after the 10:21 a.m. call.

Firefighters donned safety gear, including life jackets, when they went out on the ice, Schweitzer said.

First responders placed the man in a basket-type stretcher/sled and pulled him back to shore where they were met by North Ottawa Community Hospital paramedics.

"Depending on if his levels of Carbon Monoxide are critical, he could be transferred to Grand Rapids for further treatment," Schweitzer said.

Responders reported they found a small propane heater inside an ice shanty. Inadequate ventilation is believed to be the cause of the medical emergency, Schweitzer said.

Emergency personnel cleared the scene by 11 a.m.

Recommended for You