Businessman tackled, arrested by police

Becky Vargo • Jul 21, 2015 at 2:32 PM

That's when the man's two sons got out of the house, said Sgt. Curt Theune of the Spring Lake/Ferrysburg Police Department.

While emergency officials shut down the area near 16187 Suffolk, neighbors saw police with guns drawn surrounding the house.

Dispatchers reported that they'd contacted Fairbairn on the phone, and were attempting to build a rapport with him when he hung up the phone at 5:29 p.m. When he walked out of the three-story white home, police tackled him as he tried to go back inside, neighbors said.

"He wanted to get something, but we weren't going to let him go back inside," Theune said.

Police had him in custody at 5:34 p.m. and interviewed a young man - identified as his son in police radio traffic - outside the home. The young man described to police a lot of scuffling, and appeared to have suffered bruises and minor cuts.

Theune did not confirm an actual physical fight.

The sergeant confirmed that he removed one handgun and three shotguns from the home.

Neighbor Hilary Grant said she just got home from work and heard yelling coming from the house. Her husband was working in the yard.

"There were some obsenities. It got our attention," she said.

The sons came out of their house and just stood there, she said. Police surrounded the house and Fairbairn came out a short time later, carrying  his cell phone.

Fairbairn bought the former Rosebud Bar & Grill in downtown Grand Haven and has been renovating it into Joe's Wooden Nickel.

Fairbairn grew up in Grand Rapids and spent a lot of time at the Rosebud when he boated in Grand Haven with his parents. He most recently lived in Chicago and worked in Internet sales for a telephone book company, then launched two Internet advertising businesses.

Fairbairn moved to Ferrysburg in 2010.

Police said the father would be detained on felonious/aggravated assault, a felony charge.

Ottawa County Sheriff's deputies and Grand Haven Department of Public Safety officers assisted at the scene.

The incident remains under investigation.

Recommended for You