Sergeant's death caused by E. coli, infection

An autopsy shows that the death of an Allegan County Sheriff's Department sergeant was caused by the E. coli bacteria.
WZZM-TV
May 23, 2012

Scott Tatrow, 45, died suddenly in April after a short illness. At the time, doctors suspected it was from an infection, but they didn't know exactly what caused it. Doctors analyzed blood cultures after Tatrow's autopsy.

Before his death, Tatrow had recently returned from an overseas vacation. He was also part of an investigation in which officers found more than 350 dogs covered in feces at a puppy mill.

However, the medical examiner said that neither the travel nor the puppy mill were factors in Tatrow's death. Dr. David Start said the death was caused by aggressive E. coli bacteria that led to a urinary tract infection.

Tatrow had been sick at least three days before his death. On April 13, he called in sick with a high fever and vomiting. By the time he went to the hospital that night, Tatrow's organs were beginning to fail, Start said. Tatrow died the next day.

Start said urinary tract infections are common, but dying from one is not.

 

Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.