Forty-five senators bravely defended 25 million of us from the danger of being identified as gun owners. They fearlessly defended all of the idiots, criminals and mentally disturbed so that they may purchase guns if they want to.
Just out of curiosity, I wondered where these senators hail from, so I looked it up. I list them here not by name, but by the states that they represent. For the sake of brevity, I list them by their postal code abbreviations.
The senators were from AK, AK, AL, AL, AR, AR, AZ, FL, GA, GA, IA, ID, ID, IN, KS, KS, KY, KY, LA, MO, MS, MS, MT, NC, ND, ND, NE, NE, NH, NV, OH, OK, OK, SC, SC, SD, TN, TN, TX, TX, UT, UT, WI and WY. Not surprisingly, they come from the South or the western hunting states with very few exceptions.
The senator from Florida was Sen. Rubio and the one from Ohio was Sen. Portman. Even though they come from fairly civilized states, their vote is not surprising.
As I said, these senators fearlessly defended the 8 percent of us that comprise morons, criminals and generally stupid people such as white supremacists. Meanwhile, the other 92 percent of us (incidentally, 80 percent of gun owners) will have to live with the fact that these idiots will have access to firearms for the time being, but then we can take solace in the fact that common sense will eventually prevail, even if it may take a hundred or more years.
If that is the case — that it takes in excess of 100 years — we will all be dead and gone, but eventually common sense will come. Also in the event that it takes 100 years, more than 3 million of us will die by being shot to death.
About a month ago, the Tribune published an article about police protection of schools and the ridiculous possibility of arming teachers. They also published a picture of a police exercise taking place at one of our elementary schools, where a supposed criminal was lying prostrate on the floor and an armed guard was pointing a pistol at him. When I saw that picture, I couldn’t help but think, “What if a person from a civilized country were to see that photo?”
By a civilized country, I mean England, Germany, France or even Canada. Such a person must think, “Look at those crazy Americans playing cops and robbers in, of all places, an elementary school.”
In other words, I feel that we must be the laughing-stock of the civilized world with our ridiculous gun laws.
I feel embarrassed at being one of those ugly Americans. I feel embarrassed that we feel it is necessary to place armed guards about our elementary schools. I feel embarrassed also that some people have seriously suggested that we begin to arm our teachers (a thought that I facetiously suggested in a previous article, but actually came about). The thought is so repugnant to me.
I have to admire the politicians of Connecticut. Connecticut has traditionally been the source of firearms production. After their bold move to limit firearms production, at least three manufacturers of automatic weapon components have decided to move to other states. They are Colt (the most important of them), Stag Arms and Ammunition Storage Components.
Can you guess where Colt is going? You’re right, it’s Texas.
I doubt that President Obama can be successful in combating arms control; it just seems impossible to me. Just believe that it will come about eventually.
Common sense will prevail. Keep the faith.
— By Ralph Wiltse, Tribune community columnist