Buried in Section 15 of the Grand Haven Township cemetery is one Lena (Fridrich) Habel. Born Lena Hecker in Austria in 1876, she was laid to rest in 1921 next to her parents, Adolph and Dorothea Hecker, and her first husband, Albert Fridrich.
H.B. Jennings was an early pioneer in Ottawa County history and a key merchant in the formation of Ottawa Center, a historic settlement platted in 1855 along the Grand River in the southeast corner of Crockery Township.
The first time the carnival rolled into town to occupy Washington Avenue more than 100 years ago, citizens of the city were concerned about whether the human oddities and shocking exhibitions would taint the wholesome community.