College Basketball Roundup

Associated Press • Mar 10, 2018 at 12:46 AM

No. 1 Central Michigan clips No. 4 Miami in MAC women’s semifinals

Central Michigan junior forward Reyna Frost is in a double-double, refuse-to-let-my-team-lose mode.

Frost had 18 points, 12 rebounds and three blocks in 37 minutes as No. 1 Central Michigan defeated No. 4 Miami, 61-58, in a MAC Tournament 2018 women's semifinal on Friday at Quicken Loans Arena. Tipoff was several minutes past 11 a.m.

On Wednesday, Frost amassed 14 points, 14 rebounds and four steals in 40 minutes of Central Michigan's 67-64 victory over Eastern Michigan in a quarterfinal.

The Chippewas (27-4) have won the MAC regular-season title in each of the past two years. As the tournament's top seed last season, they lost to Western Michigan in a quarterfinal.

Miami (21-10) was unable to overcome 32.8 percent shooting from the field (21-of-64).

The Chippewas led, 45-42, after three quarters. Miami, which trailed by 15 in the second quarter and by two at halftime, pulled ahead, 29-27, early in the third.

The game seesawed the rest of the way. Miami led, 58-55, with two minutes left. Frost's jumper with 1:04 remaining put the Chippewas in front to stay.

The RedHawks missed three 3-pointers -- all good looks -- in the final seven seconds.

"Miami -- I think we took their best shot," Central Michigan coach Sue Guevara said. "It's survive and advance, and that's exactly what we did."

The 6-0 Frost authored her double-double without committing a foul.

"I think I was just playing in a zone," she said. "I don't want to go home."

The Chippewas led, 21-10, after one quarter. They were in control even though center Tinara Moore, MAC player of the year, and guard Presley Hudson, MAC first team, had been relatively quiet. Moore and Hudson combined for four points in the quarter.

Central Michigan expanded the advantage to 27-12 when Frost made a layup with 7:05 remaining in the second quarter. However, just when it appeared Central Michigan was on its way to a rout, Miami righted itself. Led by guard Lauren Dickerson and forward Kendall McCoy, the Redhawks closed the half on a 13-0 run.

That Central Michigan's talent could go scoreless for seven minutes doesn't seem possible. It happened Friday largely because of Miami's ball pressure and attention to detail on the weak side. Miami also effectively fronted the 6-3 Moore, but Central Michigan's guards could have been better at recycling and making it a point to find her.

Dickerson led all scorers in the first half with 13 points, and McCoy had 10.

Moore finished with seven points, 13 rebounds and three blocks.

No. 2 Buffalo routs No. 6 Western Michigan in MAC women’s semifinals 

Junior guard Cierra Dillard amassed 17 points, six assists and six steals in 31 minutes as No. 2 Buffalo hammered No. 6 Western Michigan, 85-53, in a MAC Tournament 2018 women's semifinal Friday afternoon at The Q. Bulls junior reserve guard Autumn Jones scored seven on two shots from the field in a 30-second span of the third quarter.

Buffalo (27-4) will face No. 1 Central Michigan (27-4) for the championship -- and automatic berth in the NCAA Tournament -- Saturday. Tipoff is scheduled for 11 a.m. on CBS Sports Network.

In the title game two years ago, Buffalo beat Central Michigan, 73-71. Bulls guard Stephanie Reid made a two-point shot at the buzzer.

The Bulls have won 11 in a row, including two in the MAC Tournament. Their most recent loss occurred Jan. 31 at Central Michigan, 86-79. The Bulls paid back the Chippewas at home Feb. 14, prevailing, 85-82.

Late in the third quarter Friday, Jones' flurry effectively sent Buffalo on its way to the championship game. With 2:48 left in the third, Jones drilled a 3-pointer from the left corner and was fouled. She made the free throw.

On Western Michigan's ensuing possession, Dillard notched her fifth steal. Dillard fed Jones, who drilled the transition 3-pointer from the left wing to give Buffalo a 53-34 lead with 2:18 remaining.

By the end of the third, the Bulls had built the advantage to 59-36.

Reid shot 4-of-5 from the field for eight points as Buffalo led, 20-9, after one quarter.

Western Michigan forward Breanna Mobley kept her team in it. She scored 10 of her 14 in the second quarter, which ended with the Broncos trailing, 32-24. For the half, Mobley shot 7-of-11 from the field and grabbed six rebounds.

Buffalo opened the third quarter with four straight points. Western Michigan coach Shane Clipfell sensed trouble and called timeout, which paid off for several minutes of subsequent court time. Buffalo, though, simply was too talented to contain for the entirety.

Toledo gets past Eastern Michigan in MAC men’s semifinals 

Toledo freshman Marreon Jackson, a product of Garfield Heights High, hit a 3-pointer with 6.8-seconds to play for a 64-63 victory over No. 3 Eastern Michigan on Friday in at MAC Tournament semifinal game at Quicken Loans Arena.

"I felt it going through the hole coming out of my hands," Jackson said. "I wasn't nervous at all."

The Rockets (23-10) will play for the title on Saturday against No. 1 Buffalo, a 78-61 winner over Kent State in the opening semifinal game Friday. Tipoff at The Q will be 7 p.m. (ESPN2) for the MAC Tournament championship and automatic spot into the 2018 NCAA Tournament.

Toledo suffered a big loss early in the game as MAC Player of the Year Tre'Shaun Fletcher scored the first basket of the game inside, then crumpled to the floor grabbing the same left knee that he sprained at the end of UT's quarterfinal win over Miami. Fletcher was carried off the court.

But Jackson would hit eight 3-pointers and finish with 26 points to make sure UT advanced. He was aided by his teammate and former Garfield Heights classmate Willie Jackson, who stepped in for Fletcher to deliver 18 points, 10 rebounds and three assists.

The Rockets were still able to run their offense efficiently, particularly with Marreon Jackson knocking down 4-of-5 3-pointers in the opening half to help Toledo build a 31-23 lead.

Eastern scored the last five points of the opening half, closing the margin down to 31-28. However, just as Fletcher was sidelined, so was EMU's James Thompson IV, who was whistled for a technical in his second straight game -- good for his third foul -- and had to sit the final 5:29 of the opening half.

The game remained back and forth to the end, with Eastern Michigan's Paul Jackson matching Marreon Jackson with 26 points, including late hoops that had the Eagles poised to win, until UT's rookie made his shot stand up.

The game then ended with a missed EMU shot, followed by a held ball with .8 left on the clock. But after checking the monitor, the game was ruled over.

Afterward, lead official Bo Boroski gave this statement to a pool reporter.

"The game clock failed to begin properly on the inbounds pass (following Marreon Jackson's shot). The game clock froze for 1.9 seconds. Therefore with .8 seconds remaining on the game clock the game is over. The correct time was confirmed with use of the courtside monitor and digital stopwatch. Had the clock been running properly the game clock would have expired prior to the held ball."

Recommended for You

    Grand Haven Tribune Videos