Here’s a list of local businesses that are offering discounts to federal employees:
• Jumpin’ Java — The downtown Grand Haven coffee shop is offering a free coffee every day until the shutdown is over for all Coast Guard with an ID.
• Arturo's Tacos – Until the shutdown is over, pay us a visit to get a free lunch or dinner special on us. Must present government ID at time of purchase. Thank you all for your service.
• Seven Steps Up – We know that there are Coasties around here that are affected by the government shutdown. If you know one, let them know that they are welcome to attend our concerts as our guest while the government is shut down. The Coastie +1, as they say in our biz. Music on. World off. We can’t change what’s happening in Washington, but we can offer this small piece of joy to those who serve our community and maybe help for a couple of hours.
• Pavilion Wharf Bar – 20 percent of total sales Tuesdays and Thursdays will be donated to our local Coast Guard.
• Sweet Temptations – Calling all Coasties: Let us treat you and your family to an ice cream cone during the shutdown. All you need is your government ID. Come every day until it's over. This is the smallest thank you we can give you for taking care of us all the time — not a handout. We love what you do for all of us, especially here in Grand Haven.
• Grand Finale Desserts & Pastries – All active Coast Guard and military members are welcome to stop in for a free doughnut for themselves and their family. We appreciate your service and would like to extend this offer as long as the government is shut down.
• Southtown Car Wash & Oil Change – Southtown invites Coast Guard members to stop in and get a one-time $15 of gas free of charge. Please show your ID Friday, Jan. 18, through Saturday, Jan. 26. Thank you for your service!
• JW's Food & Spirits – For every Coast Guard member and their family, we will buy you each a bowl of award-winning white chicken chili. We love our military service people and our Coast Guard City, USA!
• The Paisley Pig – As a way to thank all Coast Guard members for their hard work and dedication, we would like to invite you in for a free two-topping pizza and kids meal during the shutdown. This is dine-in only, so stop on by and let us serve you!
• Righteous Cuisine – To honor our local Coast Guard during the government shutdown, we are offering two free tacos (vegan, chicken or pork) and a free kids taco with proof of ID. Thank you for all that you do for our community!
• Grand Armory Brewing – All of us here at Grand Armory Brewing are very thankful for your service! During the shutdown, stop in during our normal business hours with your active military ID and receive two $1 pints. Thank you for everything that you do!
• Morning Star Cafe – To support our local Coast Guard families during the continuing government shutdown, we are offering free egg breakfasts to all furloughed Coast Guard service members and one guest. Stop in to Morning Star and we will buy you an egg plate breakfast, and a coffee.
• Small Town Sandwich Shop – Any of our active-duty Coast Guard members, please come in anytime during the shutdown for a free sandwich. We thank all of you for your service during this difficult time.
• Art’s Barber Shop – Because of the government shutdown, we’d like to offer free haircuts to active U.S. Coast Guard personnel until further notice. Thank you for your service to our country!
• Lakeside Car Care – All active Coast Guard members, stop in today and receive a free hand car wash. Please show ID.
• Spring Lake Presbyterian Church – The Spring Lake Presbyterian Church will make its food pantry available to all government employees in the Tri-Cities area impacted by the shutdown. Call the church office at 616-842-5060 for an appointment.
• Pronto Pup – All proceeds will benefit the Chief Petty Officers Association of the Coast Guard. All active Coast Guard members, please bring your ID and your family for a meal on us. We appreciate you.
• Dykstra’s Landscaping – We will be offering free residential snow plowing for the rest of this winter, regardless of when the government opens back up. The only requirement is that you currently work for the Coast Guard, you live in the great Grand Haven area, and have proper ID with address when signing up.
• Laughing Tree Brick Oven Bakery – Come to either the Sweetwater Local Foods Market or the downtown Muskegon market on Saturday and grab a loaf of bread on us. Thank you for the myriad services you perform and we are sorry for the significant disruption the shutdown has caused you. Please email [email protected] if you in advance so they know how many loaves to have available.
• Foil Hair Studio – Due to the government shutdown Foil Hair Studio is offering free haircuts to active Coast Guard members until further notice. Thank you for your service!
• Gracious Gracious – Gracious Grounds would like to support the local Coast Guard by providing dinner on January 25 at 5:30 p.m.. We will host up to 6 individuals at our DeSpelder location for a nice dinner. Please contact Sandy Baker, our Executive Director, to reserve you spot!
• Fur Crazy Pet Salon – Call 616-935-7551 for assistance with pets. Need ID.
• Porto Bello – Dinner for all Coastguardsmen and their families on Thursday, Feb. 24 from 6-8 p.m. in the Grand Hall. Free dinner, pop and family friendly games.
• Love Inc. – Food vouchers for pantry available weekly.
• Bohdi Tree Juice Co. – Free juice for all furloughed and AD. Need ID.
• Great Harvest Muskegon – Shut Down Shelf, free loaf of bread for all government employees not receiving a paycheck.
• Spring Lake Crossfit – Free place to workout for non member AD during shutdown. Waived monthly fee for current members.
• Griswold Chiropractic – During the partial government shutdown, and through the month following, Griswold Chiropractic Clinic in Spring Lake will care for active duty Coast Guard, TSA agents and their families at no charge. Members and their families simply need to show their ID to receive this service. We are proud of the jobs all of these people do and the sacrifice made by their families so we are proud to serve them in their time of need.
• Loutit District Library – We're collecting groceries for our Coasties! All items collected will be brought over to the Chief Petty Officers Association (CPOA) who will hand it over to the Coast Guard for distribution. We asked a member of the CPOA what the coastguardsmen needed and listed below are the items they have identified. The list includes:
gift cards for gas and groceries,
paper towels, toilet paper, laundry soap, dishwasher soap, general toiletries, diapers in size 3 - 4, coffee, creamer, granola bars, Goldfish, fruit snacks, milk, juice, and bread.
• Haven Animal Hospital – Free sick pet visits (exam and treatment up to $250) and free rabies vaccines for the pets of all active and retired Coast Guard. Promotion runs through the duration of the government shutdown. Must provide ID.
If your business is offering special discounts to Coast Guard personnel during the shutdown, please let us know and we’ll add you to the list. You can reach us via email at [email protected]