Damage contained to dryer area in Grand Haven Township house fire

Becky Vargo • Jun 28, 2016 at 11:24 AM

GRAND HAVEN TWP. — Family members closed the door on the dryer after discovering their clothes on fire early Tuesday morning, and that action “probably saved a lot of their house,” said Grand Haven Township Fire Rescue Lt. Shawn Schraeder.

The homeowners smelled smoke a short time after starting the gas dryer in the morning, Schraeder said. They unplugged the dryer, opened the door, saw flames, closed the door and called 911.

The fire destroyed the dryer, but it was contained to the utility room, Schraeder said. There was smoke damage throughout the house.

Emergency crews from the township and Grand Haven Department of Public Safety responded to a call for help at about 6:30 a.m. at 15665 Comstock St. Family members had evacuated the home, but smoke was visible when firefighters arrived.

The fire was out within 15 minutes and firefighters remained on the scene to ventilate smoke from the house.


Recommended for You

    Grand Haven Tribune Videos