Fire destroys most of Port Sheldon Township pole barn

Becky Vargo • Dec 10, 2017 at 8:28 PM

Firefighters from three departments battled a pole barn fire in Port Sheldon Township early Friday afternoon.

Firefighters were on the scene for two and a half hours after the incident at 14488 Baldwin St. was reported at about 12:25 p.m.

Nobody was injured, according to Fire Chief Kevin McNutt.

The fire was determined to be accidental.

McNutt said the homeowner was working on his son’s pickup truck inside the approximately 50-by-50-foot pole barn. He went inside the house to get lunch and when he went back to the pole barn he saw heavy smoke and called 911.

Grand Haven Township and Olive Township firefighters assisted at the scene.

Also responding were the American Red Cross Canteen, Ottawa County Sheriff deputies and AMR ambulance. A crew from the Ottawa County Road Commission responded to salt the iced over road.

Recommended for You

    Grand Haven Tribune Videos