logo



Fire consumes shed before burning out

Matt DeYoung • Jul 17, 2018 at 7:13 PM

SPRING LAKE TWP. — A small fire to burn some yard waste spread to a nearby shed and stand of pine trees, destroying the shed Tuesday afternoon in a backyard off 152nd Avenue near Pruin Street in Spring Lake Township.

Ben VanDrunen said he had been standing around watching the fire all morning and, once the fire burned out, he drove to The Home Depot store. A short time later, his wife arrived home to see smoke and flames billowing in the backyard.

“I got home and looked and saw the shed on fire,” Jessica VanDrunen said. “It started shooting up into the pine trees, engulfing them. I didn’t know what was going to happen.”

She called 911, but by the time firefighters arrived on the scene, the shed had burned to the ground and the fire was nearly extinguished.

Ben VanDrunen said the shed was empty other than some chicken wire and roofing asphalt.

 

 

Recommended for You

    Grand Haven Tribune Videos