logo



Spring Lake residents escape burning home early Thanksgiving morning

Becky Vargo • Nov 22, 2018 at 8:30 AM

Residents of a Spring Lake Township home evacuated safely when their house caught on fire early Thanksgiving morning.

Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire, that started in the area around some piping for a wood stove.

Firefighters from three area departments responded at 2:56 a.m. Thursday to a home at 14637 State Road.

The first units on the scene found smoke and fire coming from the rear of the house, said Spring Lake Fire Chief Brian Sipe.

Once inside, firefighters found fire in the attic space around the piping for a wood burning fireplace, Sipe said. Fire crews were able to extinguish the fire within 30 minutes.

The occupants said that they did have a fire in the fireplace earlier in the evening.

They went to bed around 11:30pm and were awakened by the smell of smoke just before 3 a.m., Sipe said. The residents noticed that smoke was filling the home and there was visible fire in a bathroom, which shares a wall with the wood burning fireplace. They were able to exit the home safely.

The preliminary fire investigation shows that the fire started in the attic space directly associated with the piping for the fireplace, Sipe said. It was also found that the home did not have a working fire alarm.

Preliminary damage estimate is around $10,000., the chief said.

Assisting at the scene were Ferrysburg and Crockery Township fire departments, Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department and NOCH EMS.

Recommended for You

    Grand Haven Tribune Videos