logo


no avatar

Man rescued from burning home near GVSU

WZZM-TV • Mar 7, 2019 at 10:48 AM

TALLMADGE TWP. — An Ottawa County couple lost their entire home in a fire Wednesday night.

Emergency crews responding to the 9 p.m. call at 2746 Winans St. in Tallmadge Township found the house fully involved in fire. 

One of the homeowners, Doug Ingersoll, went back into his home to rescue his dogs just as Ottawa County Sheriff’s deputies arrived on the scene. A deputy ran into the burning home to pull the 63-year-old man safely out of the basement.

Ingersoll and his wife, Kimberly, 58, both made it out of the home safely. It is unknown if the dogs survived.

Two people were taken to Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital in Grand Rapids to be treated for smoke inhalation. The deputy was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

The home, located near Grand Valley State University's Allendale campus, was a total loss. It's not yet clear what started the fire.

Responding fire departments included Wright-Tallmadge, Allendale, Walker, Blendon Township, Zeeland, Coopersville, Chester Township and Robinson Township.

Recommended for You

    Grand Haven Tribune Videos