logo



Deputy Fire Chief: Resident did right thing in dryer fire situation

Becky Vargo • Apr 29, 2019 at 3:27 PM

FERRYSBURG — The elderly resident of a Ferrysburg home did the right thing by leaving the door closed on a smoldering dryer early Monday afternoon, officials said.

Firefighters responded to the home on Connie Drive shortly after 2 p.m. The resident called the fire department and left the door on the older dryer unit closed, according to Ferrysburg Deputy Fire Chief Len VanderJagt.

Firefighters removed the dryer from its location just inside the door to the garage. Once the door was opened and it was exposed to air, the contents — some sheets — quickly caught on fire.

A firefighter used an extinguisher to put out the flames. Firefighters also used fans to ventilate smoke from the home.

VanderJagt said the smoke damage was minimal and the resident would be able to stay in the home.

Firefighters also removed the washer due to heat damage and a strong electrical smell surrounding the machine.

Recommended for You

    Grand Haven Tribune Videos