Grand Haven Tribune: Natural gas leak in Spring Lake contained
logo



Natural gas leak in Spring Lake contained

Becky Vargo • May 15, 2019 at 4:00 PM

Update (Friday 4:20 p.m.): The natural gas main break in the Village of Spring Lake has been contained.

The line break and gas leak that began Wednesday afternoon was contained at 9:15 a.m. Friday. Emergency responders then cleared the scene, said Nick Bonstell, director of emergency management for the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office.

Area residents and customers who need their natural gas service restored are asked to contact Michigan Gas Utilities at 800-401-6402.

The Exchange Street construction project remains closed to traffic.

Original story:

SPRING LAKE — The Spring Lake Township Fire Department responded to a gas leak when a high-pressure line was struck by construction equipment Wednesday afternoon in a construction site on Exchange Street, between Cutler and Park streets.

Michigan Gas Utilities was also on the scene and was in the process of mitigating the situation soon after the 2 p.m. incident, according to Fire Chief Brian Sipe.

Due to the size of the 6-inch gas line, officials said late Wednesday night that the process to fix the leak could last into Thursday afternoon. The natural gas release was expected to continue throughout the night.

Some homes in the immediate area were evacuated, Sipe said, but there was no traffic issues related to the gas leak at the time.

As of 8 p.m. Wednesday, firefighters remained at the scene on standby and the Ottawa County HazMat team was also in place. The Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office community support trailer was on the scene and being used as the command center.

Michigan Gas crews continued to arrive on the scene throughout the day and were piecing together a large pipe to replace the damaged section.

Construction work on Exchange Street was put on hold while the line was being repaired, Sipe said.

In the meantime, village residents were told to keep their windows closed so that the leaking natural gas would not go into their homes.

A weather vane was set up near the Wesco gas station on Cutler Street and firefighters would continue to monitor the weather in case they needed to change which houses or businesses needed to be evacuated, Sipe said.

If you smell gas in your home or business, officials said that you should leave the premises and call 911 or Michigan Gas Utilities at 800-401-6451, and crews will be dispatched to your location.

More information and safety tips can be found at the Michigan Gas Utilities website at accel.michigangasutilities.com.

Grand Haven Tribune Videos