Faulty alarm discovered in older Spring Lake Village home

Becky Vargo • Mar 26, 2017 at 7:18 PM

SPRING LAKE VILLAGE — Firefighters responding to an alarm at a residence on the corner of Liberty and Buchanan Street discovered a faulty smoke detector in the attic, according to Spring Lake Fire Capt. Scott Smith.

Firefighters and Ottawa County Sheriff’s deputies responded to the home in the 200 block of North Buchanan Street at about 5 p.m. after a  neighbor reported hearing an alarm going off in the residence.

The homeowners were not home at the time.

Smith said the street was blocked in the area so fire trucks could be strategically placed in case of an actual fire.

It took some time for firefighters to gain access to the home, but once they did, they discovered the faulty alarm.

Smith said they replaced the alarm with a new one and made sure everything was working properly before clearing the scene.

There were no signs of smoke, fire or any electrical problems, he said.

Recommended for You

    Grand Haven Tribune Videos