Fruitport family's pets lost in house fire on Christmas morning

Becky Vargo • Dec 26, 2017 at 11:41 AM

Seven people evacuated a home in Fruitport Township after it caught fire around 3 a.m. on Christmas Day.

Firefighters said smoke detectors woke up the family members.

First responders arrived on scene at the 3200 block of Sheringer Road to find the family's garage fully engulfed by flames.

Firefighters and police officers were able to remove many of the family's Christmas presents, but several pets were reportedly lost in the fire. 

Norton Shores Fire Department and Professional Med Team Inc. also responded to the scene.

Area residents who woke up Christmas morning to learn about the fire coordinated collections for clothing and presents on social media sites.

One of the family members posted this message later in the day on Monday:

Joleen Cejmer: My family cannot express the gratefulness we have for the west Michigan community. At this point we have received a great deal of clothes and the best donation would be gift cards so we can start to buy food and household necessities. Once again thank you to all.

A GoFundMe site has been set up at https://www.gofundme.com/cejmer-christmas-house-fire


WZZM-TV contributed to this story

Recommended for You

    Grand Haven Tribune Videos