New nursing facility planned for Comstock St.

Alex Doty • Sep 12, 2017 at 1:00 PM

The Grand Haven Township Board on Monday conditionally approved a planned unit development request from developers Ciena Healthcare for the proposed Regency at Grand Haven.

The 73,796-square-foot, one-story skilled nursing care facility will be located at 17049 Comstock St., just west of the new Piper Lakes apartment complex, and north of Light Corp. and West Michigan Molding. 

“They anticipate breaking ground ... in early March next year, with anticipated completion for occupancy in April of 2019,” said Township Community Development Manager Stacey Fedewa, noting that the timeline may change as plans for the development are more solidified.

The facility will accommodate 120 beds, with a future wing that could add another 20 beds.

The developer obtained a Certificate of Need from the state in September 2014 for the first phase and another in February 2016 for phase 2. In all, the project has received a Certificate of Need for 153 beds, although only a total of 140 beds are proposed.

“The Certificate of Need was resubmitted to the state on Aug. 14,” Fedewa said. “They do anticipate approving the extension.”

The extension will provide developers the time needed to complete the approval process, send the project out for bid and obtain construction permits prior to breaking ground in the spring.

As part of Monday night’s conditional approval, the Township Board added language that would require the site’s parking adequacy to be reviewed upon the development of the project’s second phase.

The new development will include 128 parking spaces, or 53 percent more parking than the township’s Zoning Ordinance allows. However, several board members expressed concern over whether the number of spaces would be enough should the second phase be added.

“There is no on-street parking available in this location,” Township Supervisor Mark Reenders said. “I am very concerned.”

Reenders cited a similar local development where cars were parking in the street several times a week due to the busyness of the facility.

Aside from the parking, Reenders said he had “no other issues” with the planned unit development.

The Regency at Grand Haven facility will include physical and occupational therapy areas, meditation space, a salon and spa, library, multipurpose room, dining room, and other support space.

Developers note that approximately 70 percent of the facility would be used for rehabilitation patients who stay 30 days or less. The remaining 30 percent would be comprised of long-term patients in need of skilled nursing care.

Roughly 120-140 employees would be employed at the new facility once it’s fully operational and a resident/patient census has stabilized, developers say. Employees will work in three shifts.

Recommended for You

    Grand Haven Tribune Videos