logo



Soup for All slated for Nov. 15

Krystle Wagner • Nov 10, 2018 at 2:00 PM

Residents having soup next week will help fellow community members.

The 15th annual Soup for All is set for 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 15, at St. Patrick’s/St. Anthony’s Catholic Church, 920 Fulton Ave., Grand Haven. Tickets are $10, and can be purchased at the door or online at soupforall.ticketspice.com/soup-for-all-2018.

If you can’t make it to the event itself, you can place “to go” orders and pick up soup on Nov. 15. Takeout orders can also be made online by Tuesday, Nov. 13.

Soup for All T-shirts will also be available for purchase during the event; they cost $15.

Money raised by the annual luncheon is dispersed by Christmas to local nonprofits that apply and give presentations for grants. About 60 percent of the funds will go toward housing assistance and the remaining 40 percent will go to local food pantries, said Dave Ruwe, the Soup for All chairman.

In 2017, 1,296 people were considered homeless in Ottawa County, according to the annual homeless assessment report in the 2018 Greater Ottawa County United Way’s community assessment. During the 2016-17 school year, 203 Grand Haven students and 27 Spring Lake students were considered homeless.

Last year’s Soup for All raised $20,000, which was an increase of about 42 percent from previous years, Ruwe said. That amount included more than $13,000 in sponsorships.

This year’s goal is to raise $25,000. So far, more than $17,000 has been raised in sponsorships.

About 300 people attended last year’s luncheon.

Restaurants providing soup at next week’s event include Arboreal Inn, Consider It Done, Did’s Deli, JW’s, Lake Effect, Morning Star Café, Noto’s, Porto Bello, The Paisley Pig and The Toasted Pickle. Restaurants providing “to go” orders include Jack’s, Lucy’s Deli, Old Boys’ Brewhouse and Snug Harbor. Businesses involved in donating gift cards, cookies and bread include D&W Fresh Market, Edible Art, Grand Finale, Jumpin’ Java, Leppink’s, Lucy’s Deli, Ryke’s Bakery, Spring Lake Orchard Market and Santo Stefano del Lago.

Between Grand Haven and Spring Lake students and sponsor volunteers, there will be about 90 volunteers involved in the luncheon.

Over the years, Ruwe has been involved in Soup for All in various capacities. Ruwe said he enjoys the day of the event and the way the community comes together for it.

Recommended for You

    Grand Haven Tribune Videos