Thursday's Prep Roundup

Tribune Staff • Aug 24, 2018 at 12:25 AM

With the local football teams kicked off their 2018 season, there was still plenty of soccer action on the pitch for all of our local teams. Here’s a breakdown of how each performed in their non-conference clashes on Thursday night. 


The Grand Haven boys soccer team scored an 8-0 road shutout win over Reeths-Puffer on Thursday afternoon.

The Buccaneers scored four goals in each half to improve to 3-0 on the season.

Charlie VanSingle got the scoring going with 19:50 left in the first half off an assist from Cole Tubergen. Gavin Jonker added a goal at the 14:31 mark, followed by a goal by Jaden King off an assist from Max Jerovsek with 11:16 to go in the half. King added his second goal of the contest with 4:25 before halftime off an assist from Jax Mast to give Grand Haven a 4-0 lead at the break.

The second half was more of the same for Grand Haven, as Joe Walsh scored a goal off an assist from VanSingle with 34:50 to go, while Max added his second assist of the game with a dish to Jonker for his second goal of the afternoon with 26:19 to play. Carter Larned scored the Bucs' seventh goal of the contest off a rebound from a free-kick attempt by Jack DeKlyen, while Mast scored the final of the goal of the game at the 7:30 mark of the second half. 


The Spring Lake and Fruitport boys soccer teams played to an intense 2-2 draw on Thursday night in non-conference action at Fruitport High School.

The Lakers took a 2-0 lead into the half thanks to first-half goals by Charlie Parker and Evan Ernst.

With 20 minutes left in the second half, the Trojans cut the lead in half, as Logan Manciu laced a well-placed shot that caught the crossbar and into the back of the net to ignite the Trojan crowd. Fruitport fed off that energy and controlled the play the rest of the game.

With seven minutes remaining, Fruitport's' efforts resulted in a penalty kick that Cameron Schultz converted to tie the game at 2-2. There were a few opportunities down the stretch, but neither team could convert.

Connor Hines had five saves for the Trojans, who are now 1-1-1 this season.

Fruitport Coach Dan Hazekamp was pleased with his team's willingness to fight back noting, "I really liked how my boys answered the bell tonight and fought back to earn a tie. It was a complete team effort from the front to the back. Goalkeeper Connor Hines kept us in the game early and our back like of (Austin) Golden, (Luke) Hronek and (Logan) Teitsma played solid all night.

"(Cody) Mayette, (Kaleb) Krueger and (Cameron) Schultz logged big minutes and did a lot of the dirty work for us, while (Logan) Manciu and (Bryce) Lanore were really active in the second half and generated the attack. We pride ourselves on our grit and work ethic. Tonight was a great example of those characteristics playing a factor."

Spring Lake head coach Jeremy Thelen reflected on the bizarre nature of the tie.

“It was a crazy game, very weird for early in the season,” he said. “Both teams scored a penalty kick, so the refs were involved a little bit, our second goal was a ricochet off a Fruitport player and their first goal was from an odd angle and hit two different posts. “I was happy with how we played, it is early in the season so we’ve still got some kinks and I think both coaches were figuring out exactly where to put guys.”

The Lakers host Grand Haven on Saturday at 2 p.m., while the Trojans return to action next Tuesday as they square off against WMC.


The Fruitport boys tennis team had a difficult time getting anything going against a talented Cedar Springs squad on Thursday. The Trojans fell to the Red Hawks, 8-0.

"It was a tough start to the season, as many first-time players worked through many tough games, but came up on the short end of the scoreboard," said Fruitport head coach Brad Busscher.


The Western Michigan Christian boys soccer team played to a scoreless tie with NorthPointe Christian on Thursday.

The Warriors move to 2-0-2 overall on the season.

"The last time we played NorthPointe on our field, it was a district semifinal game, and we won," said WMC head coach David Hulings. "It was obvious that NorthPointe came to play tonight with that memory still in their minds. They played very well and were very aggressive for the first 20 minutes of the game. I thought they controlled the game for that first half and created more chances than we did.

"We did have a goal on a great play by Isaac Van Hoven that was called back for a very close offside call. NorthPointe had an open goal and misplayed the drop ball to our keeper that went off the crossbar. Those two opportunities would be it for the game.

"I was proud of our guys, however. Despite being down two key players, they picked up their energy and really had some great attacks in the second half. I thought our possession was better, and we showed some creativity. It was great to see some of our role players learning more from this game. We have work to do but we saw some good things today."

JUNIOR VARSITY: WMC defeated NorthPointe Christian on Thursday, 2-0. The Warriors got second-half goals from Owen Varnado and Jacob Aemmer to earn the win, while keeper Ethan VanOrman posted the shutout in net.

Recommended for You

    Grand Haven Tribune Videos