Prep Roundup: Spring Lake spikers finish 2-1 at home quad

Tribune Staff • Oct 11, 2016 at 12:28 AM

The Spring Lake volleyball team finished 2-1 at its home quadrilateral tournament on Monday.

The Lakers dropped its opening match against Kent City (17-25, 19-25), but bounced back with wins over Fremont (25-21, 25-17) and Howard City Tri-County (25-14, 25-14).

Senior Olivia Grimmer recorded 17 kills and 19 digs to lead the Lakers (11-15, 4-4 O-K Blue), while junior Lauren Hellman added 18 digs and six aces. Senior Isabel Donnelly added 13 kills and five blocks, while Caitie Estep led the team in assists with 46.

Spring Lake hosts Sparta tonight at 6 p.m. for its annual Staff and Teacher Appreciation game.

Haven polo pulls away from Jenison

The Grand Haven boys water polo team traveled to rival Jenison on Monday night, escaping with a 10-3 road win.

The Bucs played a very solid defensive game, keeping the ball out of the hole set position for nearly the entire game. The Bucs pressured Jenison in and around the perimeter, rarely letting the ball or a good driver get in front of the goal.

In four quarters of play, junior keeper Matt Beals faced only 11 shots on goal and turned eight shots aside. Grand Haven amassed 22 steals in keeping an illness depleted Jenison squad out of their game.

Mason Fritz managed to overpower the Wildcat defense for four goals, while Mason, Jon Hoffman and Grant Ruster led the defense. Together, the trio pressured the Wildcats for 15 steals.

Junior varsity: Grand Haven defeated Jenison, 9-2. The offense was spread evenly with nine Buccaneers tallying goals on the stat sheet. Defensively, Peter Clark led the squad with three steals. Keeper Mark Nordin turned away five of the six shots he faced, in perhaps his best game to date.

Grand Haven travels to East Kentwood on Wednesday night.

WMC soccer falls at Holland Christian

The Western Michigan Christian boys soccer team traveled to Holland Christian on Monday night, falling to the Maroons, 3-1.

Holland Christian scored their first goal of the game with just 45 seconds left in the first half.

The Warriors would even the score seven minutes into the second half on a goal by Evan Fles on an assist from Tommy Tencate.

The host Maroons would score the game-winning goal with under 15 minutes left in the game and added an insurance goal late regulation for the game’s final tally.

Ultimately, the Warriors outshot the Maroons, 19-13, but weren’t able to convert on their scoring chances. 

“We controlled the first half, but couldn't find the net,” said WMC coach David Hulings. “It was tough giving up a goal just before half like that. We had a chance to take the lead with about 16 minutes left in the game, but the shot deflected off the post and went out.”

The Warriors travel to Orchard View tonight for their last regular season game of the season.

Recommended for You

    Grand Haven Tribune Videos