EAST LANSING (AP) — Michigan State University is suing its insurance carriers over coverage of sexual assault claims by victims of jailed sports medicine doctor Larry Nassar.
The lawsuit was filed Thursday in Ingham County Circuit Court.
School General Counsel Robert Young said in a release that the carriers have failed to honor "their policies."
MSU announced in May that it had reached a $500 million settlement with 332 women and girls who said they were assaulted by Nassar. Interim President John Engler has said all the school's insurers participated in mediation toward the settlement.
Nassar is serving a 60-year federal prison term for child porn possession, then 40-175 years in state prison for the sexual assaults.
The Associated Press left messages Thursday evening seeking comment from MSU's largest carrier, United Educators.
ICE jail contract protest interrupts Kent County board meeting
GRAND RAPIDS (AP) — Kent County officials were forced to temporarily suspend another meeting due to protests over an Immigration and Customs Enforcement contract that allows people to be detained at the county jail.
Kent County commissioners stopped their meeting for about 30 minutes Thursday after protesters began to chant. No arrests were made. Another meeting also was suspended last month.
Commissioners said in a letter Wednesday that the board had no direct oversight or control over the contract, which was entered into by the county sheriff.
The contract was signed in 2012 and renewed in 2017. It allows the Kent County Jail to charge I.C.E. for each day it holds a person with a detainment request. Detainees can be held for up to three days.
State health agency: 2 more foreign travel-related Michigan measles cases
LANSING (AP) — The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services has confirmed two more cases of measles linked to foreign travel and warns the public of possible exposure to the contagious disease.
The agency said Thursday that one of the ill individuals was contagious when arriving just before midnight July 18 at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport at the international arrivals area of the North Terminal.
Health officials are contacting passengers from the flight who may have been exposed. They said limited exposure to others at the airport may have occurred while the person exited the international baggage claim.
The agency said the second individual was not contagious while in flight or while at the same airport.
All four Michigan cases this year resulted from exposure outside the U.S., the state agency said.
Abused children were whipped, kept in dungeon-like room, police say
LANSING (AP) — A Michigan couple has been charged after authorities say their five children were punished with whippings and confinement in a dark, locked bedroom described by a police officer as a "dungeon."
Yenier Conde, 32, and Sarah Conde, 28, were charged last week with child abuse and unlawful imprisonment.
The Lansing State Journal reported Thursday that their children were kept in the bedroom without food or water.
The abuse allegedly occurred over several years and was discovered in 2017.
The children are now between the ages of 6 and 11 and have been placed in foster care. The couple has since lost custody.
Sarah Conde has an Aug. 3 hearing. Her attorney declined to comment on the charges.
Court records didn't list a lawyer or court hearings for Yenier Conde.
Storms with high winds, gusts, hail rake southeast Michigan
DETROIT (AP) — Severe thunderstorms packing winds gusting as high as 60 mph have downed trees and power lines and dumped hail across southeastern Michigan on Thursday.
The National Weather Service said a 60 mph gust was measured Thursday afternoon at Ann Arbor Municipal Airport. A trained spotter estimated a gust at least that strong in the city of Riverview in Wayne County. The weather bureau said an emergency manager measured 1-inch hail south of Ann Arbor.
DTE spokeswoman Roneisha Mullen said the utility had 30,000 customers without power early Thursday afternoon.
Governor declares 2nd state of disaster after UP flooding
HOUGHTON (AP) — Gov. Rick Snyder has declared a second state of disaster for Houghton County following July flooding in parts of the Upper Peninsula that were still working to recover from June's severe flooding.
The declaration announced Wednesday will allow the state to make additional resources available and open the Disaster and Emergency Contingency Fund to provide more financial assistance.
Several inches of rain fell July 12 in the Keweenaw Peninsula, closing roads in Hubbell and elsewhere. Some roads that were repaired after June's flooding were damaged again.
The June rains swelled waterways that washed away large chunks of concrete and asphalt, littering roads with debris. Some residents used boats to get around.
After that flooding, Snyder issued disaster declarations for Houghton, Gogebic and Menominee counties.