Prep Roundup: Grand Haven track has strong showing at Rockford

Tribune Staff • May 3, 2017 at 12:14 AM

The Grand Haven boys and girls track teams continued their trek through the thick of the O-K Red Conference on Tuesday with a trip to Rockford High School.

The Buccaneer boys fell to the Rams, 101-27, while the Grand Haven girls dropped a 90-47 decision.

On the girls side, the 2-mile relay team of Abby Buitenhuis, Andrea Strainer, Haylee Ray and Gabby Hentemann took first place with a time of 9 minutes, 33 seconds, which is now the fourth-best time in team history and currently ranks them second in the state.

Hentemann went on to set a new personal-best time in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:16.2 and anchored the 1-mile relay team with Buitenhuis, Jenny Ryan and McKenna Keefe with a 4:05, which places them fifth overall in the state.

Ryan also won the 200 dash with a time of 26.99 seconds while Keefe won the pole vault, going 10-2, and Olivia Sanborn won the long jump with 14-2 jump.

“Despite losing to one of the best teams in the state, the team moved up in the state rankings in a couple of key events,” said Grand Haven girls track coach John Tarr. “The girls were running in 40-degree weather on a rain-swept track, but still managed to put forth great effort and intensity.”

On the boys side, the only first-place finishes came from Collin Takas in the 300 hurdles (43.34 seconds) and Mason Mahacek in high jump (5-8). Joe Costello and Drew Dahlman finished second and third in the high jump to sweep the event.

“The cold, wet weather was a tough night to make gains, but some of our guys competed against some of the best athletes in the state,” said Grand Haven boys track coach Joe Nelson. “We look to have a great meet this Thursday against Hudsonville in our final home meet of the season.”

GH girls soccer ties with East Kentwood

The Grand Haven girls soccer team had their sights set on an O-K Red Conference road win over East Kentwood on Tuesday night, but left with a 1-1 tie.

The first goal of the game was scored by the visiting Buccaneers just three minutes and 41 seconds into the second half, when Haiden Trowbridge scored from the corner of the 18-yard box off an assist from Summer DeWitt.

The Bucs held strong for the next 35 minutes and 12 seconds, forcing the Falcons into an offside situation a total of six times. However, with 1:07 left in the game, an East Kentwood forward got past the defensive line creating a 1-on-1 break against the keeper and scored the equalizer to knot the game at 1-1.

In conference games, a tie at the end of regulation goes to overtime. Grand Haven came out strong and created many overtime opportunities, however, at the end of the two 10-minute overtime periods, both teams were scoreless.

Grand Haven moves to 2-6-3 overall on the season and 1-4-1 in the O-K Red Conference.

The Buccaneers host crosstown rival Spring Lake on Friday at 7:15 p.m.

Batts’ hat trick powers Lakers past Comstock Park

The Spring Lake girls soccer team scored four goals in each half of play to overpower Comstock Park in a 8-0 shutout win Monday night.

Junior Emily Batts recorded a hat trick to lead the Lakers’ attack. Batts was assisted by senior Grace Thornley, senior Kaley George and sophomore Laney Peasley.

Senior sweeper Jaedyn Shelton scored a lone goal on a free kick from 60 yards out, while senior Sarah Thornley converted a penalty kick for another Spring Lake tally.

Junior Maddy Wright found Kaley George for a score, and senior Becca Rush dropped a corner kick in the box for Laney Peasley, who launched the ball into the back of the net with a volley.

The Lakers finished the game with a goal from sophomore Madeline Zenas off a pass from junior Coco McKeough.

Spring Lake keeper Kamryn Lewkowski recorded the shutout in net.

Fruitport soccer shutout by Reeths-Puffer

The Fruitport girls soccer team fell to Reeths Puffer, 3-0, in an O-K Black Conference tilt Tuesday night.

The Rockets got on the scoreboard early, adding a goal in the first 10 minutes of the game, and then added another midway through the first half.

The Trojans weren’t able to answer the Reeths-Puffer attack, as the visiting Rockets took a 2-0 lead into the half.

Although the Trojans picked up their level of play in the second half, they could not chip away at the scoreboard. Reeths-Puffer added an insurance goal in the closing seconds to finish the game at 3-0.

The Rockets outshot Fruitport 10-9 in the contest.

Fruitport keeper Madalyn Fett recorded six saves.

With the loss, Fruitport falls to 8-2 overall on the season. They play at Whitehall on Thursday in a non-conference match.

Recommended for You

    Grand Haven Tribune Videos