More storms bring down more trees in Grand Haven area

Becky Vargo • Sep 3, 2018 at 1:17 PM

Several rounds of storms flashed and thundered through the Tri-Cities area over the holiday weekend, flooding yards and garages and felling more trees and branches in its wake.

Lightning struck inches from a home in the 17500 block of Grand River Avenue in Ferrysburg at about 10:45 a.m. Saturday, causing Ferrysburg firefighters to respond on a possible structure fire.

Spring Lake and Crockery Township fire departments responded as an automatic aid.

There was no fire, but several homes in the area had partial outages and damage to appliances and outlets.

Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to scan the homes and a crew from the Grand Haven Board of Light and Power checked the meters on the homes in the area.

While crews worked on Grand River Avenue, another lightning strike was reported to a home on Mariposa in Grand Haven Township. An attic fire was reported at that house, but it was quickly extinguished.

More storms hit the area early Sunday morning, but the skies cleared enough for boaters to enjoy their annual flotilla on Smith’s Bayou.

The next round crashed into the Tri-Cities around 10 p.m. Sunday, bringing with it many reports of wires down or arcing with utility poles on fire.

Crockery Township firefighters responded to a tree across Leonard Road at 138th Avenue. A service call went out for a car versus tree on 168th Avenue in Grand Haven Township. There was no report of injuries.

Grand Haven Public Works crews cleared a tree that fell across Washington Avenue on the east side of town in front of City Farmer.

Neighbor Jenna Tatu said they heard a crack, but didn’t go outside to look because it was storming so hard.

We saw it this morning, she said of the tree snapped off some 10 feet above the ground. 

In Spring Lake, Monday morning, Don Bixeman watched as a Village Public Works crew cleared a maple tree off the road in the 500 block of River Street.

“It was a big crash,” Bixeman said. “The storm kind of stopped, then lightning picked up again. Then I heard a crack.”

The maple tree tipped over from its roots. 

Bixeman pointed out the healthy tree fell, while a dead tree nearby still stood.

Public works operator Dale Henshaw said they were called to River Street at 10:30 p.m. Sunday and that was the only call they had received.

National Weather Service meteorologist Heather Orow said that more than two inches of rain fell in the Muskegon area in the 48-hour period from 1 a.m. Saturday to 1 a.m. Monday.

“Given rounds of recent heavy rainfall, the ground should be saturated,” Orow said. “Trees are more susceptible to falling over with a lot of rainfall.” 

And the rain is not done.

Showers and thunderstorms were moving into the area early Monday afternoon and were expected to last throughout the day.

In the evening, that weather pattern was expected to shift to the north, Orow said.

Another round of thunderstorms is expected late Wednesday.

Humidity is expected to climb over the next two days, causing a high temperature of 86 in Grand Haven on Tuesday to feel like 90.

Orow said the temperature would start going down Wednesday and drop into the 70s by Thursday.

Recommended for You

    Grand Haven Tribune Videos