ROBINSON TWP. — A kitchen fire was quickly extinguished Tuesday afternoon, but the Robinson Township home is not habitable because of the smoke damage, officials say.

The homeowner left the home to pick up her children from school, and when she returned shortly after 4 p.m. she found the house filled with smoke, said Deputy Fire Chief Kerry Boyer.

All family members and their pets safely evacuated, he said.

There was a lot of smoke damage inside the home at 12151 Fernwood Lane, off 120th Avenue, Boyer said. The cause of the fire could be due to a small appliance located on the kitchen counter.

The home belongs to Justin and Breanna Cannon.

Damage was estimated between $18,000-20,000, according to Fire Chief Paul VanVelzen.

The Robinson Township Fire Department was assisted by the Grand Haven Township and Allendale Township fire departments.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.