A fire in the ceiling of Automatic Spring Products Corp., 803 Taylor Ave., forced the evacuation of the building shortly after 4 p.m. Friday. The fire was caused by some sort of mechanical malfunction of the furnace inside the manufacturing plant, said Grand Haven Public Safety Director Jeff Hawke. The fire traveled up a wall and into the ceiling and roof.

Firefighters had to strip away layers of a 20-by-20-foot portion of the roof and use fire extinguishers to put out the blaze. Hawke said they couldn’t use water because of the hazardous materials inside the building.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.