Grand Haven firefighters quickly extinguished a fire in the basement of a home at 1600 Slayton Street. 

Firefighters responded to the home at the corner of Slayton and Eastern shortly after 11 a.m. Wednesday.

According to officials on the scene, the fire consumed rags, towels and a chair before it was put out. 

Heavy black smoke was ventilated from the home before firefighters cleared the scene.

Grand Haven Township Fire Rescue assisted at the scene.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.